What to Do
The Coffin School
The Coffin School, built in the Greek Revival style of architecture,was completed in 1854 and renovated in the 1980s.
The present building was constructed after the original structure was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1846. The school's original mission was to provide an education to descendents of Tristan Coffin, which accounted for nearly every child on Nantucket. The curriculum included a strong focus on nautical skills and the school operated the first training ship in America sailed Nantucket youth as far as the coast of Brazil. In later years the building was taken over by the Nantucket Public Schools and became the center of training for manual skills and home economics.
The Egan Maritime Foundation was created in 1996. Its purpose is to foster the appreciation, documentation, preservation of the art, history, literature and architecture of Nantucket, with particular focus on the Island's nautical traditions. In xxxx the foundation merged with the Nantucket Life Saving Museum.
The foundation exhibits a collection of early nineteenth-century portraits of prominent Nantucket residents and works illustrating the history of the school. Paintings by accomplished island artist, Elizabeth Rebecca Coffin, a student of renowned American painter Thomas Eakins, complement this collection.
Paintings by Rodney J. K. Charman (b.1944) records Nantucket's rich maritime history from its beginnings in the seventeenth century through the end of the nineteenth century. Selections from both collections are exhibited periodically in the main hall.
The foundation also offers a regular schedule of special exhibits and a yearly lecture series.
Need to know
Address: 4 Winter Street
Organization: Egan Maritime Foundation
11 a.m.- 4 p.m. daily through Oct. 8
Gutsy Gals of Nantucket exhibit
Free for members of foundation